PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR VACATION
It’s always a good idea to perform your own seasonal home inspection as you move into a new season. When it comes to summer and summer vacations, you’ll want peace of mind in knowing your home is in tip top condition and that all repairs have been taken care of by professionals. Plumbing is one of those things that can easily be forgotten and go unchecked until there’s a major issue. With summer upon us, we want to share tips that can help keep your home running well and allow you to relax and enjoy the season and your vacation. Check these out:
- Check for water leaks indoors before you leave home on vacation. Key locations to check are sinks, showers, tubs and toilets for leaks, and be sure to have any leaks repaired before vacation. Also, check around major appliances for leaks and possible issues that need attention.
- Be sure to check for outdoor plumbing leaks as well. Perform a quick tour of your yard and checking all the water faucets, drip system, and pool plumbing too.
- Turn off water at the main shut-off valve, unless there’s reason to leave it on when on vacation.
- Toilets collect bacteria, and it’s a good idea to pour a half a cup of chlorine bleach into each toilet bowl before leaving on a trip.
- If you are leaving for a long time, have a neighbor or friend turn the water on and run the faucets at least once a month. They can also run the dishwasher and flush toilets to keep them functioning well and eliminate unwanted odors during your time away.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS VACATION REMINDERS:
- Before vacation, unplug small appliances, computers, TVs, lamps, etc., in order to save on utilities
- Make sure smoke detectors and thermostats have fresh batteries and are in good working condition.
- Leave emergency contact information for your house sitter. Be sure to include a list of names and contact information, including Marlin Services for Plumbing & Air Conditioning needs, your electrician, yard, pool service, and others – just in case.
Have a great summer and memorable vacation with family and friends. Enjoy the summer with your home in good working order.